First Fish Hatchery | Cle Elum, WA

Cle Elum's first fish hatchery was developed in 1914 by Samuel Drew.

The County Game Commission hired Drew, a fish culturist from Coeur D'Alene, Idaho to investigate the waters of the county for the best locality of a fish hatchery. After examining the water and spawning features at numerous sites, the land above South Cle Elum, where the creek from the old reservoir comes near the Milwaukee tracks, was chosen.

That same year, the game commission bought one and a half acres of land at the South Cle Elum site and work began on the hatchery. Many of the rivers and lakes in the area were stacked with fish raised in the hatchery.

Due to lack of funds and other factors the hatchery was discontinued in 1927.

(SWIFTWATER, History of Cle Elum 1848-1955, published by Northern Kittitas County Historical Society, 2014, Page 98)






         

cle,elum,footer,logo
Booking.com
Sign up for FREE newsletters!







WWW.DISCOVERCLEELUM.COM


ATTRACTIONS     EVENTS     HISTORY     DINE     STAY     SHOP     TRAILS     CAMP     PARKS     BLOG     ABOUT     CONTACT     VISITOR CENTER

© 2021 DISCOVERCLEELUM.COM™    Site Created by: Genesis Marketing