First Hospital | Cle Elum, WA

Cle Elum's first hospital was built on land donated to the miners and the people of Cle Elum by Walter J. Reed. The building was a two-story wooden frame hospital built at a cost of $10,000 constructed by contractor A. S. Paul.

Area miners were assessed and other people donated generously to have the hospital built.

TIMELINE
  • NOVEMBER 30 1905: The hospital building was dedicated for use.
  • JANUARY 1906, Mr. and Mrs. Isaac Davis became superintendent and matron, respectively.
  • FEBRUARY 1906: Hospital was officially opened to patients
  • JULY 1908: Hospital was destroyed by fire.
  • 1909: Hospital building was rebuilt by contractors Don Perrow and Ort Barnett. Billy Gunther did the brick and cement work. Mr. and Mrs. Davis and Belle Cameron retained their previous positions.
  • FEBRUARY 1909: Nurses' quarters were opened. (SWIFTWATER, History of Cle Elum 1848-1955, published by Northern Kittitas County Historical Society, 2014, Page 90)




(Ruins of the first Cle Elum hospital, destroyed by fire in 1908. Photo courtesy of Dr. James E. Brooks Library, Archives and Special Collections, Frederick Krueger Collection, Central Washington University, Ellensburg, WA)



(Roslyn Cle Elum Beneficial Association Hospital in Cle Elum, built 1909. Photo courtesy of Dr. James E. Brooks Library, Archives & Special Collections, Frederick Krueger Collection, Central Washington University, Ellensburg, WA)






         

cle,elum,footer,logo
Booking.com
Sign up for FREE newsletters!







WWW.DISCOVERCLEELUM.COM


ATTRACTIONS     EVENTS     HISTORY     DINE     STAY     SHOP     TRAILS     CAMP     PARKS     BLOG     ABOUT     CONTACT     VISITOR CENTER

© 2021 DISCOVERCLEELUM.COM™    Site Created by: Genesis Marketing