First General Store | Cle Elum, WA

Cle Elum's first general store was opened by Tom Johnson during the summer of 1886, and was soon followed by a store under the operation of Theron Stafford.

Johnson's store was housed in a large frame building on Pennsylvania Avenue opposite the Reed Hotel, while Stafford set up shop in a frame building occupied by James Kellogg's bank on Pennsylvania Avenue.

A third general store was established in October of the same year by Wakefield and Tillman, and stood at the corner of Pennsylvania Avenue and First Street.

(An Illustrated History Of Klickitat, Yakima And Kittitas Counties; With An Outline Of The Early History Of The State Of Washington, 1904, page 305/6)

cleelum,italian,grocery,and,delicateson,store

(Family standing before the Italian Grocery and Delicateson Store on First Street in Cle Elum, Washington, 1910. Photo courtesy of Dr. James E. Brooks Library, Archives and Special Collections, Frederick Krueger Collection, Central Washington University, Ellensburg, WA)






         

cle,elum,footer,logo
Booking.com
Sign up for FREE newsletters!







WWW.DISCOVERCLEELUM.COM


ATTRACTIONS     EVENTS     HISTORY     DINE     STAY     SHOP     TRAILS     CAMP     PARKS     BLOG     ABOUT     CONTACT     VISITOR CENTER

© 2021 DISCOVERCLEELUM.COM™    Site Created by: Genesis Marketing