Carpenter House | Cle Elum, WA

1914


Built in 1914, this was home to three generations of the Carpenter Family. Frank Carpenter founded the Cle Elum State Bank in 1907 and served as president until his death in 1959. His daughter Margaret inherited the house and bank, becoming one of the first female bank presidents in Washington State. The Carpenter's affluent lifestyle included separate servant quarters and stairway, a whistle-operated "speaking tube" from the master bedroom to the kitchen, and a third floor ballroom. In 1989 the Carpenter family donated the fully furnished home to the local historical society for the purpose of creating a museum. The Carpenter family also bestowed an endowment upon the City of Cle Elum in 1977 to fund construction of a new public library, which was renamed the Carpenter Memorial Library in 1978.



Carpenter House
302 W. Third | Current Business: Northern Kittitas County Historical Society & High Country Artists







           

cle,elum,footer,logo
Booking.com
Sign up for FREE newsletters!!







WWW.DISCOVERCLEELUM.COM


ATTRACTIONS     EVENTS     HISTORY     DINE     STAY     SHOP     TRAILS     CAMP     PARKS     BLOG     ABOUT     CONTACT     VISITOR CENTER

© 2022 DISCOVERCLEELUM.COM™    Site Created by: Genesis Marketing